If you’re anything like me, you struggle to come up with healthy breakfast ideas, or any breakfast ideas at all. We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and sometimes while we’re in school, under stress, and really busy, we forget to make time for ourselves and our health. I personally really like the idea of making breakfast the night prior and just grabbing it and eating it on the go the next morning. I learned that almost 50% of post-secondary students nationwide skip breakfast at least once a week. Taking care of ourselves is so important and so I thought I would share five different easy, quick, and healthy breakfast recipes that you could also make to snack on during the day.
The following recipe instructions are personalized in a way that i would personally mix them, but there are various different ways to use alternative ingredients and get the same nutrients in! That being said, take these breakfast ideas as guidelines and personalize them to your own taste!
First recipe, and my go-to: Overnight Oats
- 1 cup of Rolled Oats
- ½ cup of Almond/Oat/Cashew Milk
- ½ cup of Greek Yogurt/Vegan Yogurt
- 1 tbsp of Honey/Maple Syrup/Agave Syrup
- 2 tbsp of Flax/Chia Seeds
- 1 tbsp of Dark Chocolate Chips (Optional)
- 1 cup of Frozen/Fresh Fruit of your choice
- Refrigerate overnight and eat the next morning!
Second recipe: Egg Muffins
You will need a muffin pan to make this recipe. The good thing about this one is that depending on how much you decide to make, it will last you the whole week!
- Beat 1 large egg per space you wish to fill in the muffin pan (if you plan on making 12 egg muffins, beat 12 eggs).
- Mix chopped spinach, onion, bell peppers, salt, pepper, and any other vegetables and spice you would like to add with your beat egg. Add cheese if you’d like.
- Lightly coat your muffin pan with either butter or oil.
- Evenly add your egg mixture into the cups of the muffin pan.
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF and cook for 15-18 minutes.
- Once the egg muffins are finished baking, refrigerate, and eat as many as you’d like every morning until they’re finished!
Third Recipe: Breakfast Wrap/Bagel
- Put a pan over medium heat and lightly coat with butter or oil.
- Beat 2 large eggs and ¼ cup of any milk of your choice. Add the mixture into the heated pan.
- With a wooden spoon, mix the egg in the pan until cooked and scrambled.
- Gather lettuce, spinach, cheese (or vegan cheese), tomato, and any other vegetable of your choice.
- Gather all ingredients in a whole-grain tortilla/bagel of your choice and refrigerate. Eat the next morning!